I had visited my aunt's home recently and her cook offered me 'bread idli'. I wasn't hungry but i was intrigued by the name and the description she provided, so i decided to give it a try. The dish is nowhere close to what an idli looks or tastes like, but it tastes super and uses bread, one of my favorite foods. I made it at home recently and it turned out pretty awesome so i went ahead and took pictures to share here with you.
You could make it for breakfast or an anytime snack.
4 Slices Bread
4 T Curd
2 Potatoes - Large - Boiled, Peeled and Mashed
6-7 Curry leaves
1 Green Chilly - Finely chopped
2 t Oil
1 t Mustard Seeds
Salt to taste
1. Beat the curd. Add salt.
2. Heat 1t oil, add the mustard seeds. After it crackles, add the chilly pieces and the curry leaves. Remove from flame after a few seconds. Mix the tempering into the curd.
3. Mix salt and coriander leaves in the mashed potato. Shape into discs.
4. Using a cookie cutter, glass or bowl, cut the bread into rounds.
5. On a hot griddle layer the potato and the bread slice. Cover with a bowl and allow it to steam for a minute or two.
6. Remove from flame and serve topped with a spoonful of the curd mixture.