Two calls to ma and i had the recipe in hand.
Here's how you can make it; it's a little sweet, little sour, a little spicy, very delicious and quite simple to make. After a tough day of being out in the sun, a cold glass of Aam ka panna is even better than beer.
1. Cut the raw mango into small pieces. You dont have to peel the mango.
2. Boil the mango with some water. Just a cupful should do.
3. Blend in the mixer till you get a paste. If you like mint, drop in a cupful and a half of mint leaves. It adds to the color and the flavor is so much better
4. Add about 10-12 teaspoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of black salt, 2 teaspoons of cumin powder, 1 teaspoon of black pepper powder and about a teaspoon of jaljira powder if you have that at home. Taste. It should be sourer, sweeter and spicier than you can tolerate. Blend again.
5. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
6. After a long, hard day, come home. Take a tall glass. Half fill it with ice cubes. Put in two tables spoons of the concentrate. Add water. Stir. Drink.
7. Bless my mother for this delightful recipe. And me too, if you are feeling particularly happy and generous.
As for the ice pops, that's the next post.