_

Wednesday 17 August 2011

The Guest Room Makeover

The model apartment I styled had a guest room that looked like this


What I think did not work for the room:

1. The black and red was too stark against the white bed. 
2. The prints on the wall were tacky.
3. The lamps I found tacky too.
4. The curtains were too pale, did not match the color scheme and hid the fabulous light the french windows could bring.

What I changed:

Everything i think! Except the furniture...

1. Had the wall behind the bed painted a pale blue to add color since everything was white. White walls. White bed. White sheet.
2. Got a printed bedspread in blue and white. Added magenta for the pop of color and bit of green because i felt a third color was needed.
3. Changed the curtains. Used magenta sheers with white non-sheers (shee!) so that by just moving the curtains around you can change the amount of light that gets in. Also the non-sheers are good to keep things private. All this with one curtain rod! Yay! 
4. Picked up an interesting print of the Eiffel Tower - luckily they were in the right colors.
5. Added chrome bedside lamps with magenta shades.
6. Got a globe, some jars, candles, plants and books to fill up empty spaces and add style.
7. A simple magenta rug to complete the picture.

The room, now, after the makeover


I think it looks bright, modern, cheery, and welcoming now. What do you think?


It was my first paid home styling project and I was super excited and a bit scared too (though I have done a couple of other styling projects that paid too, but they were not as big as this one). Looking forward to more!

3 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo! This is sooooooooper stuff man! Had you just put up the pictures, I'd have totally believed this to be the work of a seasoned pro... it is that good.

    So proud of you! Here's wishing you many many more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Vikas! You just happened to make my day! :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...